August 7, 2026
Miami Spice, Explained: 25 Years of the Deal That Keeps Restaurants Open in August
Every August, roughly 390 Miami restaurants agree to sell you three courses for a fixed price well below what those dishes cost the rest of the year. It runs through September 30, the menus are set in advance, and for two months the city eats at rooms it usually only walks past. Most locals treat Miami Spice as a fact of the calendar, like hurricane season or the return of stone crab. Almost nobody knows where it came from, who pays for it, or why the restaurant you loved last year isn't on the list this time.
The short version: Miami Spice is not a charity, a food festival, or a coincidence. It's an economic development program run by the Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau, invented in a panic, aimed squarely at the two months of the year when Miami restaurants bleed the most. 2026 is its 25th edition. And the reason it has lasted this long is that it solves a very specific, very brutal problem — one that has almost nothing to do with you getting a deal.
Where It Came From
Miami Spice was born out of September 11, 2001. Tourism collapsed, restaurants emptied, and Steven Haas — a restaurateur who ran Tuscan Steak and had worked at the Delano and the Forge, and who was the first person from the restaurant industry to chair the GMCVB board — proposed a fix. "I had to do something to help our restaurants recover, so I literally created Miami Spice," he told FIU News in 2021. "We were just completely desperate to get our numbers up."
The model wasn't original, and the bureau has never pretended otherwise. Its own 2006 sponsor report says the program was "inspired by New York's popular Restaurant Week" — the format Tim Zagat and Joe Baum invented in July 1992 to feed roughly 15,000 delegates and reporters at the Democratic National Convention, three courses at lunch for $19.92, priced to the year. Zagat, as widely quoted since, was blunt about the economics: "Frankly, we thought it would be a short-term money loser but have long-term PR benefit."
Miami Spice launched in August 2002 with a $19.99 lunch and a $29.99 dinner and a genuinely shambolic first run. The bureau now says 56 restaurants took part; Haas remembers 54; New Times critic Jen Karetnick counted "50-odd" at the time. Karetnick logged the rest of the damage that October: promotional flyers handed out in Aspen promised "more than 75 of Miami's best restaurants" when, as of July, fewer than twenty had registered; a few places were listed without their owners' permission and weren't ready when diners showed up; one waiter at Monty's told her flatly, "I don't know what you're talking about." Tuscan Steak — the restaurant Haas himself ran — served the Spice menu only from 6 to 8 p.m. on slow nights.
It worked anyway. Restaurants called the bureau asking for more, and August 2002 was extended two weeks into September. By 2003 the two-month format was permanent, and Miami Spice became the template other cities copied. Orlando's Magical Dining came after it. Broward built its own version. The GMCVB's own Spa Months program was modeled on it.
The Price Ladder — and the Quiet Catch
Here's the arc, from the bureau's own materials and contemporaneous reporting.
2002 opened at $19.99 lunch and $29.99 dinner. Prices were pegged to the year for a while — $20.05/$30.05 in 2005, $20.06/$30.06 in 2006 — then held at $22/$35 from 2007 through 2011, with a one-year bump to $23/$36 in 2008. Two-tier pricing arrived in 2012. Brunch was added in 2017 at $23. In 2022 dinner split into $45 and $60. And 2026 lands at $40 for brunch and lunch, $50 and $65 for dinner, plus a brand-new "Miami Spice Reserve" tier that starts at $95.
New Times ran the inflation math this year: that 2002 dinner works out to roughly $55 today, so the standard menus have broadly kept pace. The number that would have been unthinkable in 2002 is the new one — a Spice tier starting at $95 and running to a $155 four-course dinner at L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon.
The more interesting figure is the one nobody advertises: the required discount. In 2002 participating restaurants had to knock at least 40 percent off. The bureau's 2006 and 2008 reports describe an average 25–60 percent discount. A participating operator in 2010 said his signed agreement specified 50 percent savings. In 2025 and 2026, the GMCVB promises "a minimum of 30% savings." The sticker price roughly doubled; the guaranteed discount floor fell by about a quarter.
Why August Is the Whole Point
Miami's summer collapse is worse than "things get slow." Using STR data the bureau publishes itself, Miami-Dade hotel occupancy ran 85.5 percent in February 2025 and 68.9 percent in August; revenue per available room fell 57 percent, from $261 to $112. On Miami Beach the drop was steeper — RevPAR down 61.5 percent. September is worse than August: county occupancy bottomed near 64 percent in recent Septembers, and the Surfside/Bal Harbour submarket hit 46.5 percent.
The restaurant-specific number is starker. Miami-Dade levies a 2 percent food and beverage tax on alcohol-licensed venues, and the GMCVB's board finance reports break out the share flowing through the bureau's books by month. In the last clean pre-COVID year that ran $947,864 in February against $536,638 in August and $483,100 in September. That's a shape rather than a countywide total — the tax excludes Miami Beach, Bal Harbour and Surfside — but the shape is unambiguous. Taxable restaurant and bar spending in late summer runs roughly half what it does in February.
That is the hole Miami Spice was built to fill, and it explains why the closures cluster. The summer of 2025 took Caffe Vialetto after 26 years, Michelin-starred EntreNos, Osteria del Teatro after nearly four decades, and Itamae AO — which won a Michelin star in April and a James Beard award weeks later, then closed on August 2. Matt Kuscher, who owns Lokal and three other restaurants, put it plainly last summer: "I don't know any of my peers who are making money."
The Math Restaurants Actually Run
This is where the romance ends. A full-service restaurant targets roughly 30–35 percent food cost and 55–65 percent prime cost. Cut your average check by 30 percent and the fixed costs don't move with you.
The only Miami-specific unit-economics exercise anyone has published — a 2010 post by the Food For Thought Miami blogger, who labels his inputs as educated guesses — models it like this. 100 covers a night at a $50 average check grosses $150,000 a month, against $45,000 in food and $97,500 in other fixed costs: about a 5 percent profit. Drop the check to $35 and revenue falls to $105,000 while costs stay at $142,500. Add fifty extra covers a night and you're still underwater.
But the comparison that matters isn't Spice versus a good month. It's Spice versus an empty August. At 50 full-price covers you lose $45,000. At 100 Spice covers you lose $37,500. Miami Spice doesn't make money. It loses less money. A Bushwick operator said the same thing to the New York Post in 2025: "We don't maximize the profit — we minimize the losses."
In the comments on that same 2010 post, an employee at a participating Miami restaurant gave the closest thing to real numbers anyone has published: during Spice, food cost rises about 5 points and labor about 8, and "80% of our sales are from that menu." That last figure is the load-bearing one. If four out of five checks are the discounted menu, there is no à la carte crowd to make it up on.
Getting in isn't free either. One operator told the Miami Times this year that the Spice fee is nearly $1,000; a 2025 Coconut Grove Spotlight report said restaurants pay $1,500 to join the tourism board and be listed among participants. Those may well be two different charges. Either way, restaurants commit to prices and menus in May for a program that runs August through September — real, uncompensated exposure to food costs they can't yet see. There's a tidy irony in it: the GMCVB is funded partly by that same 2 percent restaurant tax, so restaurants help pay for the bureau that runs Miami Spice, and then pay a four-figure fee to be in it.
Why Kitchens Say Yes Anyway
Payroll, mostly. Fiola Miami's Tom Angelo calls Spice "a blessing," specifically for holding onto prep cooks, dishwashers and servers through the summer: "It keeps everybody employed." Chef Miguel Massens, whose Sereia closed after 14 months, ran his kitchen with one other chef for three weeks because of the fixed expenses of Spice — and still said "Spice can keep you alive."
Then there's trial. Mo Alkassar, the Ghee Indian Kitchen co-founder entering CHŌ Asian Bistro in 2026, is clear-eyed: "I know my margins will shrink a little bit, but I'm going to gain new guests." Mareva 1939's Alejandro Delgado, twenty seasons in, says the reach is geographic: "We have guests from Fort Lauderdale who had never been to the beach, and now they come down to South Beach."
The veterans are the proof of concept — the rooms that have run this every summer for a decade or two and keep coming back.
Miami Spice veterans to try:
Jaguar Ceviche Spoon Bar & Latam Grill
Truluck's Ocean's Finest Seafood and Crab
Why Some Kitchens Say No
The case against is just as well documented, and it's mostly about who the discount attracts. Denver's Johnny Ballen: "I don't really think it creates return business." Boston chef Michael Leviton quit his city's program after roughly a decade: "It's not like we picked up a lot of regulars — certainly not enough to justify two weeks of losses." His own regulars told him they avoided the restaurant "like the plague" during Restaurant Week.
There's a supply-chain problem too. DC chef Dean Gold: "Every purveyor puts out specials for Restaurant Week. People who specialize in wild salmon and are pushing it one week want to sell you the lousiest farm-raised salmon for Restaurant Week." Miami has its own shorthand for the result — the "Spice trifecta" of farmed salmon, chicken breast and churrasco, a phrase in circulation since at least 2010.
And there's the staff. Tipped employees earn a percentage of a smaller check for the same work, and industry veterans say openly that servers assume gratuities will be lower. Denver's Alex Seidel, who never participated, named the other cost: "the physical and mental toll that is taken on by our team. Can we be inspired by serving the same three-course meal over and over and over?"
Miami has its quiet objectors. Josh Hackler skipped Spice at Los Felix and Krüs Kitchen in 2025, ran his own locals' deals instead, and reported higher summer profits than the year he participated. Michael's Genuine sat out three consecutive years around 2008–2011, once running a Spice-style summer special without being an official participant. L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon declined in 2024 and joined only once the $95 Reserve tier existed in 2026 — a tacit admission that the standard bands don't work at the top of the market. That top end is where the new tier lives, and it's a different proposition entirely from the omakase counters and steak temples at full price.
The high end of Spice 2026:
Does It Actually Work?
Here is the honest answer: nobody has proven it, because nobody has published the study.
The GMCVB has never released a modern economic-impact figure for Miami Spice — no covers, no incremental revenue, no lift-versus-control, no participant survey. It publishes participation counts and lets you infer. It didn't always. The bureau's own sponsor reports show 119,980 customers served in 2006 across 70 restaurants, roughly 150,000 menus in 2008, and more than 158,000 meals in 2011. Then the number stopped appearing — right as the program tripled in size.
Other cities do publish. Charlotte reported 130,000 dinners and $6 million in impact. Sonoma County reported around 65,000 diners and $1.6 million in output. Houston Restaurant Weeks has raised more than $23 million for its food bank. Miami reports how many restaurants signed up.
The academic literature is essentially two papers. One found sales increases of up to 20 percent for most participating restaurants. The other, published in January 2026 — and worth noting, built on data collected by undergraduates in a class project — mostly points out that nobody can enforce the rules. If a restaurant shrinks its portions to protect margin, the author writes, "the local restaurant association or convention and visitor's bureau has limited options in enforcing its policies," because dropping a participant runs counter to the goal of growing participation. Which is the whole game.
How to Eat Well During Spice
Assume nothing. Confirm the menu, the price tier and the participating days directly with the restaurant — many kitchens serve Spice only on selected weekdays, and those windows aren't always advertised. Read for supplements: a $20 upcharge on a steak inside a $40 lunch is a real thing that happens. And don't assume the $65 tier buys more food than the $50 one; some of the best value in town is at restaurants that deliberately opted into the lower band.
The tell for a good Spice menu is whether the dishes exist on the regular menu. Alkassar has watched restaurants "fill Miami Spice menus with cheaper items" and does the opposite on principle. Delgado treats it as an excuse to show off: "It's the time to innovate. We forget about the cost." Danny Serfer, who has run the entire Blue Collar menu during Spice and opened nearly all of Mignonette's, framed it as the point of the exercise: "The spirit of the event is to offer guests a screaming deal, no upcharges."
Finally, tip on what the meal would have cost, not what you paid. The kitchen is running the same covers for less money and your server is working a full-price table for a discounted check. If you want the deal to still exist in another 25 years, that's the part that actually helps.
Every complaint you'll read about Miami Spice this year — small portions, off-menu dishes, blackout hours, tables that are mysteriously "sold out" — appears in Karetnick's 2002 review of the very first edition. Twenty-four years later the program is roughly seven times bigger and the criticisms haven't meaningfully changed. That's either a damning indictment or the most durable evidence that the thing works. Probably both. If you're building a summer eating plan around it, our guides to Miami's best cheap eats and the Bib Gourmand end of the Michelin list cover the months when there's no prix-fixe to hide behind.






